Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sensory Activity: Playing with DIY Flubber

My son LOVED the slime we made together so I thought it would be fun to try something else similar. I had pinned this post from Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds. The flubber post shows a lot of great ways to play with flubber, including coloring it with markers! I love that creativity and color can mixed in with sensory play. This is a very well-rounded activity as you can also practice cooking skills by letting your child help you mix up the flubber.
What you need to make Flubber (goop, gak, etc):
--Borax
--Water
--Elmer's Glue

Mix 2 cups Elmer's white glue with 1 1/2 cups cold water in a bowl. In a measuring cup, mix 1 1/2 cups cold water with 3 teaspoons Borax. Mix two solutions together until your flubber(goop) is mixed well. Store in an air tight container.

My son really enjoyed playing with this. The gems and plastic circles easily came out of the flubber when he was done playing with it.
This stored really well. We didn't play with it again for several weeks. My kids had Martin Luther King Day off of school. We got to the point in the morning where we needed to turn the tv off and do some sort of activity. My oldest daughter asked me if I had any fun sensory stuff for her to do. I thought of the flubber and brought it out along with the markers. My son joined in right away.
Even my middle daughter who usually doesn't join in on our sensory play for very long (she doesn't "need" it as much as the other two) had a great time with this activity. They really liked using the markers with it.
 Ella decided to try blowing into the flubber with a straw. It took a bit of experimenting to get it to work. She found she had to really wrap the flubber around the straw so no air could escape.
 Here it is at the end all mixed back together.
Honestly, this activity has a TON of applications. All sensory, part cooking, part science experiment, part art/creative project. LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment